Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mystery Corm Update

The growth rate of my mystery bananas far exceeds that of my Dwarf Cavendish plants.  Yesenia (on right) and Yulisa (on left) have grown 6-8 inches in a week.  If they keep this up, by the time I'm able to plant them in April or May they will be 4-6 feet tall.  We'll see.

I still don't know what type of bananas they are.  I have noticed that the midrib of the leaves are pink.  They even have some pink veining.  The stems are a rosy pink.  Ice Cream bananas have these characteristics.  However my research indicate that Ice Cream banana fruit is 6-9 inches long.  According to the corm's previous owner, it produces small fruit.  I'm still clueless as to its variety.

I'd like to find out how fast the mystery plants grow so that this coming fall and winter I can get a pup started indoors.  If I can plant it outside early enough, just maybe it will have grown long enough to fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment