Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mother Plant: Hard Prune

I decided to hard prune Mother Plant and transplant her to a 24" pot. I had hoped that Mother Plant would produce a bud by now. If that were the case, I would not have to worry about getting her back into the house for the winter. However, it seems that this is just not going to happen. I posted pictures of Mother Plant on Bananas.org, and my comrades advised me that it would be several months before the plant starts to flower. The reason was that banana leaves start to stack up in one area right before the plant starts to flower. As you can tell by the picture of Mother Plant pre-pruned, the leaves were not stacking up at all. So, on to Plan B. I have pruned Mother Plant. I hope to keep here low enough so that should she decide to flower, I can bring her in the house over the winter. If the plant does not show any signs of producing bananas, I may store her in my shed over the winter and let her go dormant. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment